Monday, February 3, 2014

So much to say...

I have lots of stories to tell you and so I am going to title each in this post.


RIP Blake

It was a Wednesday night, and I was waiting for the L at Castro station to take me home after having a blissful evening with my little cousins,cousin and family friends. We all went to see sing-a-long Little Mermaid, I sang my heart out, I even wore a red wig. It had been a while that I had, had some fun like that, it was really nice. Anyways, waiting for the L, in all good spirits, my phone rings, it's a friend who never calls me; I declined the phone call, and would just listen to the voicemail if she was going to leave one. Voicemail was left and the message swept all of my happiness away! She said that Blake died and to call her. I hate to talk on Muni, really I hate anyone who talks on their cell phone on Muni so I would call her back once I got off Muni. I was a few blocks away from my stop and she texted me asking me to call her, once I got off I called her. She had been crying, and of corse she couldn't give me her full 100% attention. I asked what happened...she told me that Blake was visiting his family in TX and his stay was extended because he started to not feel well again, his hair was falling out. Blake needed to have surgery and it was going to be a fast and little surgery...from what I was told, he would spend one day overnight in the hospital and then I'm sure after that a few more days in TX and then back to SF. It didnt happen like that, Blake did have the surgery but he passed away in surgery, at 31 years old!

Let me give you to break down..(I'm sorry if my information is at any time wrong, I am on a he said she said source of info)
Blake was diagnosed with colon cancer in Aug of 2012, I found out in late October or November of 2012. When I found out I was upset that my friend didn't tell me sooner, I know Blake would have never said anything but I wish my friend had! Blake wore a colostomy bag for six months, he was in and out of chemotherapy and in late February, early March of 2013 Blake had his surgery to make him all better. The surgery was successful, everyone was happy for him, we threw a birthday party for him and I had seen him a few times after his birthday.At this time I had decided to go back to school, I had also scored a job, so all my energy was put into school and my job. I would think of Blake and I would text him asking how he was feeling and he would always reply back "great" little did I know he wasn't. One day Blake (in Nov or Dec 2013) texted me asking what I was up to, I told him I was busy with school and work...no response back (shocker), and that was the last I had heard from Blake.

After I was told that Blake died, it was first..."okay, he's dead, but I thought he was better, so how did this happen?" then I got angry, like really really angry, I couldn't figure out who I was angry at the most, my freind or Blake. Why did no one tell me Blake got sick again? That was another reason for my anger, I was also angry that he was a crappy friend but I was also sad that the guy I hung out with so much back in 2005 and always had such a good time with and was always laughing with was now gone, dead! As conceded as this will come off, the group of people I know and Blake knew, he knows all from me and it would have been nice to have been included more into his whole cancer journey! Blake and I had a falling out years back. I stepped away from him and other friends because I couldn't take the lack of friendship and the consent going out every weekend and staying out till 2-4am! Fuck, I needed and wanted to get my shit together, start taking on the roll of being an adult!
Blake was their for me when I needed him back in 2005...2007, after I broke up with his roommate, my boyfriend, I was a mess. Blake and I had a very platonic relationship it never went further than that. At that time I had no friends, I was grieving over my break-up, I was a mess. He was the only person I had in my life who I could turn to to do fun stuff with. We would go to the movies, art shows, music shows, house parties. It was a sad time but it was also a nice time in my life. I feel regret for not being their for him in his sad part of his life. But I also think he would have pushed me away, brushed it off like no big deal...he did in a way the times I saw him. So I have to remind myself to let go of some of these feelings because there is nothing I can could have done and there is nothing I can do!
I have not cried yet, I feel guilty, I think the anger I have held for so long wont let me. A friend of mine suggested to write a letter to him, and I'm going to do that. I hope it will help. I have a lot of blunt things to say!


I hit a road block

I signed up for the Medical Assisting program. A few people told me, this program would be hard some others asked "is this really what you want to do?". My guy didnt want me to go back to school because he knows how hard school is for me. Going into this game with people behind my back aganist it was hard. I felt I had something to prove. It was hard but doable, for my first semester. Second semester, I failed one class and third semester thats when I hit my road block! I was in an insurance class, and the kind of math we had to do was tedious and hard. I talked with my teacher and she was a total ass. I had been down this road before, seven years down this road, I was not going to do it again! I talked with my counsler and I decided to drop out of the Medical Assisting. As much as it's hard to admit school is not for me, it will never be! So now, what? I'm going to continue to work at the art studio and I might have some travel plans ahead, and then after that Id like to apply to some programs that help people with learning disabilities find jobs.


The privileged white girl, no more

If you have seen Orange is the new black then you know what I will be talking about when I say that I felt like Piper when I learned that I was not eligible for Covered California but Medi-Cal! I make so little that I was denied
CC and told I had to apply for Medi-Cal. I was like no no no, not me, thats not for someone like me. I'm a white girl, from a nice middle class family, who lives in a nice neighborhood, who also has no children and does not use food stamps! It's like when Piper went to jail she was constantly reminded that her white girl ways needed to be put behind her and start thinking REAL LIFE! I am embarrassed about this, My Guy and my parents only know. Should I be? I guess not, is it a big deal...I'm sure not but it is to me. So, my Dad helped me out and he even went with me to the office in SOMA district. I'll tell you this, it was a very very nice building and everyone was very nice. I was also not the only white person. After I was done...it only took about 45 min (we arrived when the doors opened)it felt so crazy to be handed something for FREE!!! Also, my health care is free, I will never have to pay a dime for anything, even my meds! But there is a down side, you cant go to just any doctors, there is a restricted list...a book rather of a list of doctors who take Medi-Cal. I miss my doctor and my OBGYN, the only upside is I'm not paying $360 each month that I never had!

ME

To the new year, with a little shorter hair, I'd like to get my ears pierced, second piercing, I'd like to change my look a bit and I'd really like to think about going for a dream of mine. This new year has started off rough but sometimes you have to walk into the storm to see the sun.