I take care of a little boy during the week and I take him on little adventures. I like to take him to the places that I would go to as a child. The first place I took him was Children’s Playground in Golden Gate Park, I haven’t been there in a very long time and I think I was a little bit more excited to go then he was. When we arrived it was pure madness, apparently 10am at the park is the hot hour, I had never seen so many kids before. Anyways, all of the play structure has been changed the only thing that has been kept are the cement slides and marry go-round. A feeling I was used to was no longer there, was it because I’m all grown up now? My friend Miguel and I one day took the little guy to the Zoo. As a child my Dad loved to take my brother and I to the Zoo and I have wonderful memories of going. The foggy Sunset days, wearing my colorful jacket, having a coke and hot dog with my Dad and brother, my favorite spots were the petting area and wanting to see the Lyons at feeing time, good times. So my friend and I get the Zoo and before we even get in that feeling was no were to be found. The Zoo changed their entrance to the Zoo is not even the same, it reminded me of some theme park, and the layout was all different.
I think I should have known better, there comes a time when Christmas and Easter doesn’t feel the same anymore because you have reached an age in your life were I guess you could say the “magic” is gone. My brother and I would wake up 6 or 7 am Christmas morning to see what we got from Santa and then go wake up our parents. Now I just want to sleep in, I say “F” the gifts, if Santa hasn’t left me a billion dollar check I could care less about what’s under that tree. And Easter, I used to love Easter more than Christmas. My family and I would go to my Grandmas house and all the family would be there, my older cousins would hide the eggs for my brother and I and one of them would ring the door bell to pretend it was the Easter Bunny letting us know he came by and hid the eggs. I would always run to the door and open it hoping I would catch the Easter Bunny and I would remember I would get so upset every time for missing him. After the let down, we would all go outside and hunt for the eggs, it was a big deal when my brother and I would find the eggs with our name on them, “the Easter Bunny knows who I am!!”. Awww good times.
So now what? The joys I had when I was a child have been long gone, what makes me excited now? Well living in such a selfish world when anyone remembers or goes out of there way for me, I think it’s a big deal, like I won the lotto or something. Going to shows to see my favorite band or DJ play live is very exciting. Meeting someone new is also exciting, and if the date goes well that’s even more exciting………I could go on but I’ll stop. I can see that I have many things to be excited about, they might not give me that “feeling” like I had as a child and I guess that’s okay, but a part of me will always miss it.