Thursday, May 1, 2008

Meet my brain

When everyone was picking up the ABC’s, 123’s and shapes I was the one behind. Took Kindergarten twice. Then first grade exposed me all, when I didn’t get what 2+2 was and my reading was slow. The school said to my parents that I should get tested, no surprise to my Mother. Tests after testes, ”Terese look at this picture and make this shape with these blocks” I don’t remember if I succeeded the task, all I knew was when my Mother would take me to these places I didn’t have to go to school that day and she would take me to Mc Donald’s for lunch. Test results came back…drum roll please…. “The kid is 100% dyslexic”. If I only knew back then how much this will for ever be a burden in my life till the day I die. How much I wish to see the world like a “normal” person, how much I wish to understand 99.9% of what people say to me, most of the time its only 50%, and that’s on a good day. I wonder sometimes what is my purpose with this body and brain when I can’t even use it the way I want to, or wish too. I’m not fast like the others, not in reading or thinking fast on my feet. I feel I offer very little to this world…humorous, being organized, memory of random things, a good friend, a good daughter, a nice sister, thoughtful, caring, but does all of this really matter? I know I’m not stupid, but I get scared sometimes that people think I am and that really bothers me, I hate exposing myself, as if I have AIDS or something. You have no idea how many time I have to explain myself to people when they don’t understand why I don’t understand something, I should make some kind of flyer for people to hand out, this is how it would go…

I’m dyslexic so this means: a difficulty with written language, particularly with reading and spelling. It is separate and distinct from reading difficulties resulting from other causes, such as a non-neurological deficiency with vision or hearing, or from poor or inadequate reading instruction. Dyslexia is most commonly characterized by difficulties with learning how to decode at the word level, to spell, and to read accurately and fluently. Dyslexic individuals often have difficulty "breaking the code" of sound-letter association (the alphabetic principle), and they may also reverse or transpose letters when writing or confuse letters such as b, d, p, q, especially in childhood. However, dyslexia is not a visual problem that involves reading letters or words backwards or upside down, nor are such reversals a defining characteristic of dyslexia. Also a neurological condition characterized by a problem with learning fundamentals and one or more of the basic numerical skills. Often people with this condition can understand very complex mathematical concepts and principles but have difficulty processing formulas and even basic addition and subtraction.

What Do I have a hard time with?:
1. Spelling
2. Math (cant do it to save my life)
3. Retaining information
4. Vocabulary

If you have a problem with this, or have questions please ask me and then take the rest up with God or who ever you beleave in.
(end of flyer)

I don’t know if it would help or save me some time explaining myself, but I think for sure I would get a little laugh out of it and also educate some of the mindless educators in my school a little education that they can stick up their ass. How the fuck can you act like you have never come across a student with dyslexia? FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!! Like I say all the time, “There is no love for the dyslexic.” So I have to work 10 times harder then everyone else, do you know how tired I am at the end of the day? Do you know how frustrating it is to always be behind on the reading in class because you don’t read fast enough like everyone else does? There are day’s that go by that I ask the world to just give me a break sometimes. It would be nice to screw the top of my head off and take out my brain and set it in a jar on my desk and gaze out my window with not a care in the world, well how could I, no brain inside. I would put it back in don’t worry, but to get a rest from the on going battle I face with myself each day sounds so good. I am glad about one thing, I have a more understanding for others when they don’t understand something then people who don’t, and I think that says a lot.